Wednesday, May 1, 2013

More baking Adventures... with Peanut Butter Cookies!

So last night I once again busted out the gloriousness that is the Better Homes & Gardens Junior Cook Book (more pictures of said amazing book here) :
50's 1950's cookbook nostalgia vintage retro
It was around 80 degrees out so I have no idea why I was baking, but I was. I guess that's what the nesty feelings of spring will do to a gal. So my project last night was to tackle the Peanut Butter Cookies:
50's 1950's cookbook nostalgia vintage retro cookies


Ingredients (my apologies for the terrible quality photo) :

1 1/2 cups enriched flour
1 teaspoon soda (baking soda)
Dash salt (my "dash" probably ended being about 1/2 a teaspoon)
1/2 cup shortening
1/2 brown sugar
1/2 cup granulated sugar
1/2 teaspoon vanilla (extract)
1/2 cup peanut butter
1 egg

Under the instructions it says to take out "2 cooky sheets", possibly an alternate to "cooking sheets"? I noticed this a few times in the book. I wonder when we just started calling (and spelling) them "cookie sheets"? Interesting!

After getting all the ingredients mixed,  (I kinda screwed up the order, not sure if that affected the end taste or not, it didn't say a separate bowl, ok?!), into the oven they went, and came out looking pretty as a picture, actually, here's one now! :)
50's 1950's cookbook nostalgia vintage retro cookies

You know how you always pick out the most unfortunate looking cookie as your tester so as not to let on to the world you're a fail as a cook? Yeah that was this one:
          I mean look at this beast?!  Blobby, ugly mess it is.

Anyway, upon tasting the ug-o, they sadly didn't have a whole lot of flavor so I wondered if I did something wrong, or left something out etc. A friend suggested I do this to improvise:
Jelly in the middle! Which was a delicious addition, like a mini PB & J. After re-reading the instructions I realized I didn't do anything wrong after all, yay! But boo to boring cookies. So next time I will try adding 1 cup of peanut butter as opposed to the 1/2 cup that is called for in the recipe. They need a little jazzing up! Even despite my criticizing, the reviews so far have been positive, so not a complete fail! 


Tomorrow's post will be a review and quick tutorial on false eyelashes! Ta-ta for now darlings!

No comments:

Post a Comment