Thursday, February 26, 2015

1950s Diet: Day 4 (Cheerios and More Improvising!)

Okay so doing research for today's post was really fun. I'm a (home) baker and foodie, so I absolutely love seeing what products and foods were available during my favorite decade.

I went with option #2 for breakfast:

1 cup Cheerios, 1 tsp sugar, about 6oz orange juice, 8 oz of milk (I had black tea at work)

Now for the fun part. I found this adorable little cereal timeline (you can even see the complete list of what came out a particular year). 


Just for contrast, here's what came out the year I was born:
What a difference, huh? By the 80s things seemed so much commercialized, and heavily aimed at kids and their movies/tv shows. I have to say though, I remember that Ghostbusters cereal, and it was delish. 

So I ended up choosing Cheerios as my "ready-to-eat" cereal as it seemed the most common , economical choice for the average family, being that it's something everyone could enjoy, and you know those 50s ladies were budgeting wizards! 


How cute was that commercial? I wish ads were still like this, they're so much more convincing and the fun jingles really make you remember the name of the product. And you know what? I did feel the "go power", this breakfast wins for keeping me full the longest. 

For lunch let's pretend that I went out to the diner and got a burger and fries, the classic 50s teen-age meal! In reality this was a veggie burger from my work cafe, but it was really yummy and super duper filling. 


Dinner was 2 Gardein (vegetarian) "meat loaf" patties, about a cup of frozen peas, and a little over a cup of fresh spinach (lemon juice/salt/pepper dressing). I passed on the glass of milk, sorry Betty.

Despite the big lunch, yesterday I still didn't have that "bloated" feeling that I have sorta (unfortunately) become accustomed to. I think the general improvement has a lot to do with the smaller portions, and lack of oil (canola, which I had been having every morning in my omelette). I'm not sure if I've lost any weight or not, I'll weigh myself at the end of this experiment. But I think things are definitely headed in the right direction. 

Still might look into getting one of these fat jiggler machines though.

Pretty sure this lady doesn't need one.

xoxo



No comments:

Post a Comment